Once off-limits, Moscos Islands are a dream destination

News, updates, and information on travel and tourism in Myanmar/Burma.
Admin
Site Admin

Once off-limits, Moscos Islands are a dream destination

Post by Admin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am

I had one purpose in mind when I headed to Dawei for holiday: to reach the unspoiled islands of the Andaman Sea. I first became aware of the Moscos Islands, which were long restricted for tourists, through some accounts in local journals claiming that the isolated spot was now taking visitors. I remember seeing photos of clear blue seas and pristine sand banks—and thinking that I had to rush there before it was gone or developed beyond recognition.

Though the archipelago is remote, it’s not difficult to access. My friends and I booked a trip through a new agency, Tavoy Travel & Tour, which made arrangements for our overnight stay in a secluded island bay. With Dawei as our starting point, we boarded a small boat from San Hlen fishing village at around 7am to make our way further out to sea.

The village itself was a draw. It’s a small town where fishermen dock with their catch and trade with distributors who ship seafood to Burma’s cities. There was a dizzying array of small, dried fish, found in shallow waters near the shore. The salty seafood is a local staple, used in salads, curries and beer snacks.

Once we peeled ourselves from the docks, we headed out by boat for the Launglon Bok Islands in the southern part of the Moscos archipelago. Launglon Bok comprises two isles—the 6 kilometer-long Aek Bok and the 10 kilometer Auk Bok. The area was previously restricted because of a Burma Navy base nearby, though the land remains under the Dawei District administration. Foreign travelers visiting Dawei’s Maungmagan beach couldn’t be kept away for long, however, and eventually began hiring fishing boats to take them out to the distant paradise.

Full Story: Irrawaddy