NLD heading for victory but transfer of power from military may be more difficult

Myanmar/Burma political news and updates.
Admin
Site Admin

NLD heading for victory but transfer of power from military may be more difficult

Post by Admin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:40 am

Any doubts about Aung San Suu Kyi’s popularity in Burma were quashed on Sunday: her huge rally in Rangoon had the mood of a victory celebration. “There’s no need to vote,” someone shouted from the stage, “we’ve already won!”

Ms Suu Kyi’s message was the opposite: it was the duty of all to vote for the National League for Democracy (NLD), she said, regardless of the qualities of individual candidates.

“I believe the power of the people can change our nation,” she told the crowd. But there would be no witch-hunt against the losers. “If we win 100 per cent, we would invite the minority parties to work hand in hand with us.”

But as the prospect of a historic victory draws closer, influential voices are doubting the willingness of the military to concede defeat. The shadow of 1990 – when the NLD won a landslide victory but the junta responded by throwing the MPs-elect in jail – grows larger and more menacing. U Sithu Aung Myint, an influential commentator who spent years as a rebel in the border regions, told The Independent: “Suu Kyi is very popular. People hate the ruling party. So if the election is free and fair, the NLD will win. But if they win, there will be a crisis regarding the transfer of power, and this is because of the NLD’s policies.

Full Story: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 18596.html

Nyinway

Re: NLD heading for victory but transfer of power from military may be more difficult

Post by Nyinway » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:28 am

I will ONLY accept that it is "over" when the money is in my pocket/bank account legally as "my own" for sure. Burma is unpredictable........... so is the Military.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: NLD heading for victory but transfer of power from military may be more difficult

Post by Admin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:01 am

Suu Kyi vows to run govt if NLD wins Myanmar election
Says she has a plan in place; analysts doubt her party will get a majority in parliament
Myanmar's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi said yesterday she would run the country "above the president" if her National League for Democracy (NLD) wins Sunday's election, although she has been prohibited by the charter to take the top government job.

"I already have a plan. I will run the government and then we will have a president who will work in accordance with the procedures of the NLD," Suu Kyi said.

"I will also lead the party if NLD wins the elections, regardless of who will be appointed the president. If the NLD wins the elections and we are able to form the government, I shall lead it. Then you do not need to worry about a democratic leader in the country."

"If we manage to form the government, we will be able to change the country. We are sure we will not disappoint the people. I already have a plan. I will be above the president. For now, I do not want to reveal who it will be," she said.

The popular NLD is poised to win the election but analysts in Yangon doubted whether it would get a majority in parliament to form a single-party government.

More than 30 million eligible voters in Myanmar will cast their ballots for 330 seats in the Lower House and another 168 for the Upper House while the military has its quota of 25 per cent of the two houses combined - 110 non-elected military officers in the Lower House and 56 in the Upper House.

If the NLD gets less than a majority, the military-backed Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) could forge an alliance with other small parties and the military to win support in parliament and take the presidency as well as form the government.

The 2008 Constitution prohibited a person who has a foreign parent, spouse and children to take the top job in the government. Suu Kyi was married to a British citizen, now deceased, and has two children who hold British citizenship.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/aec/Suu ... 72388.html

Nyinway

Post by Nyinway » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:22 am

We all know Suu Kyi was, is and will be an iron lady. Restricted by house arrest in the past or member of parliament in present or leader of her party AND the nation in the future? she had proven record of iron will and conduct. I respect her truly. Things are becoming very interesting for Burma or Myanmar. Likewise we all know about the Burmese military hard headed policy and conduct. So in short I would say 2 Giants are facing each other in this coming election on November 8th, just a few days away. Don’t forget US Government is “watching closely” and the results will affect the relations between USA and RUM either in a positive way or negative way. It depends……

As EX-MYANMAR CITIZEN, I truly am interested in this pivotal contest between 2 Giant (larger than life) figures (military led-USDP vs Daw Aung San Suu Kyi led-NLD} face off.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:11 am

Cronies Crushed as NLD Claims Key Constituencies
As the dust settles and results trickle in, it appears that Burma’s ruling party has suffered a number of serious setbacks as ministers, sitting lawmakers and a top party official have come forward to accept defeat. While official results of Sunday’s historic vote are still pending, a picture has begun to emerge of a legislature much lighter on the old guard.

The roster of the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) was crammed with so-called “crony” candidates, some of them re-contesting seats they assumed after a fraudulent election in 2010, the country’s last nationwide poll. Some of these prosperous friends of the military were among the first to fall when faced with an opposition party that was able and willing to contest.

If provisional reports ring true, the following wealthy candidates will not assume a place in the newly formed parliament.

Two US-blacklisted candidates—both current parliamentarians—will not be returning to their seats early next year. Htay Myint and Khin Shwe, candidates for the Lower House in Tenasserim’s Myeik and the Upper House in Rangoon’s Kawhmu constituencies, respectively, both appear to have lost to opponents from the National League for Democracy (NLD).

Khin Shwe, chairman of the Zaykabar Group of Companies, said the loss could have a silver lining, predicting that an NLD government—steered by chairwoman Aung San Suu Kyi—could lead to more foreign investment.

“I believe that after Daw Aung San Suu Kyi’s government begins, there will be many more foreign direct investors,” said Khin Shwe, whose interests are primarily in construction and real estate, “so I need to refocus on my businesses.”

http://www.irrawaddy.org/election/news/ ... tituencies

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:59 am

Myanmar's president promises smooth transfer of power
Myanmar's President Thein Sein has promised a smooth transfer of power to Aung San Suu Kyi's opposition party following last week's election.

He made the comments at a meeting of political leaders in Yangon.

The National League for Democracy (NLD) has won about 80% of contested seats with just a few results still to be announced.

If power is transferred, it will end more than 50 years of military-backed government in Myanmar.

At a gathering of all Myanmar's political parties, the president said all duties would be transferred to the next government systematically and on schedule.

He said: "We will make sure it will be smooth and stable without having to worry about anything."

Thein Sein has made similar comments online before, but he has now repeated them in public.

The president also said that the successful election was a result of the reform process put in place by his Union Solidarity and Development Party, which has won only 41 of the 478 seats that have so far declared. The NLD has 387.

The military has already said it will abide by the election result.

Ms Suu Kyi is expected to hold talks with the president and the army chief in Nay Pyi Taw next week.

The BBC's Jonah Fisher in Yangon says they will face the thorny issue of the upcoming "lame duck" parliamentary session. The old pre-election Burmese parliament is due to gather next week for a final session that runs until the end of January.

Only once the "lame duck" session ends will the new NLD-dominated parliament gather. It will immediately choose a new speaker, quite possibly Ms Suu Kyi, before selecting two vice-presidents and a president.

Nyinway

Post by Nyinway » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:01 pm

This is expected by me (not surprising nor new). Typical tactic of military (EX or CURRENT) “twists and turns” conduct.
http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/nation ... doubt.html

5 months (transfer of power or transition) is a long period for military to change the results or outcome. They did it in 1990 so no one can say for sure they will NOT do it again, at least in a different way or ways with the intent of same goal? Credibility track record is important and I don't think the military had much credibility if there is at all. :?: