How Much Does it Cost to Travel in Myanmar?

News, updates, and information on travel and tourism in Myanmar/Burma.
Saiua

How Much Does it Cost to Travel in Myanmar?

Post by Saiua » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:36 am

One of the main questions I am asked about my time in Myanmar / Burma is about how much money I ended up spending there in one month – it’s something that seems to be one of the main concerns about travelling there at the moment. In reality, those who shout grand figures are scaremongering (or living in luxury) since it’s not as expensive as you may think; I spent on average of $35 per day, including food and drink.

Travel in Myanmar does depend on the type of traveller you are. Whilst I was happy to crash in a dorm or share a room with a random traveller I met on the bus in order to split the cost, many preferred the comfort of having their own room, or the indulgence that came with the more premium hotels – although, as these are government military owned, it brings in the whole other debate of responsible travel.

Food and drink costs will obviously vary from person to person, and whether you can split the costs amongst a group, and it’s likely your alcohol budget will decrease here seeing as there is a distinct lack of night-life in the towns and cities. However, should you wish to unwind, beer is relatively cheap at approximately $2 a bottle. Food and drink can fall within a reasonable $10 per day budget.

As a rough, budget guide to Myanmar, I have listed my main daily costs below to highlight how travel here can be done just as cheaply as in any other country in South East Asia.

Rough conversations for the Kyat to the dollar when dealing with a transport or tour related transaction is 1,000 kyat to the dollar. Generally all accommodation rates and buses (if booked from your hotel) are paid in dollars, which is the best means to pay where possible. Local transport links and the hire of guides and motos etc. are paid for in Kyat, as is food, drink and local purchases such as street food and at the markets.

For ease of reference, I have converted all Kyat transactions below to dollars. I have also included the names of the guesthouses and hotels I used, all of which I recommend and would use again – single room rates are listed, unless otherwise stated.

Myanmar Costs Overview

Yangon

Taxi from airport to city centre - $10
Motherland Inn guesthouse per night - $10 (dorm) $25 (room)
Taxi within city centre – average journey - $1.50

Malaymine

Bus from Yangon to Malaymine - $10
Tuk tuk to guesthouse - $1
Breeze Guesthouse per night - $25 (shared by 2)
Moto driver guide / moto hire - $7

Dawei

Bus from Malaymine to Dawei - $13
Tuk tuk to guesthouse - $1
Coconut Bungalows Guesthouse per night - $20 (shared by 2)
Hire of moto for day tour - $7

Myeik

Bus from Dawei to Myeik - $6
Tuk tuk to town centre/guesthouse - $4.50
Kyal Pyan Hotel per night - $40 (shared by 2)

Yangon

Flight from Myeik to Yangon - $140

Kalaw

Bus from Yangon to Kalaw - $11
Golden Lily Guesthouse per night - $7
Three day, two night trek to Inle Lake - $50

Inle Lake

Aquarius Inn Guesthouse per night - $12 (single rate)
Full day boat tour -$15 (per boat)

Bagan

Bus from Inle Lake to Bagan - $11
New Park Guesthouse per night - $20 (single rate)

Mandalay

Bus from Bagan to Mandalay - $9
Nylon Hotel - $20 (shared by 2)

Hsipaw

Bus from Mandalay to Hsipaw - $6
Mr Charles Guesthouse - $10 (single) $7 (shared by 2)
Half day trek / half day boat trip - $18

Pyin Oo Lywn

Train from Hsipaw to Pyin Oo Lywn - $3
Golden Dream Guesthouse - $7 (shared by 2)

Mandalay

Bus from Pyin Oo Lywn to Mandalay - $1.50
Nylon Hotel - $15 (single rate)
Transfer bus to Mandalay airport -$4

Travelling in Myanmar is only as expensive as you make it. If you are happy to relinquish the need for home comforts, ultimate luxury and grand meals for a few days or weeks, and are willing to embrace living more simply and locally, then travel in the country is not out of reach of the average traveller’s budget. In fact, some of my best experiences were on local transport and residential street food-stalls, and I can’t wait to go back, even if the prices do slightly increase.

Source: backpackerbecki

richardchown

Re: How Much Does it Cost to Travel in Myanmar?

Post by richardchown » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:28 pm

I made visit Myanmar last year in just 500$ for 5 days. Traveling is not expensive then other country like Singapore and India.

Budget depends on type if someone stay in 2 star hotel and take local food then I think $300 to $400 USD is enough for 7 days journey this wonderful land.

Pear

Post by Pear » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks Richard, it's always good to get confirmation or otherwise. Which parts of the country did you visit?

Nyinway

Post by Nyinway » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:05 am

Very informative and thanks. A plus for travellers to Myanmar in deed.

dannyjacob

Post by dannyjacob » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Travelling Burma is quite easy, safe and not expensive if you own arrange all the services ourselves. I made a 3-week trip last year and found it easy to travel like other countries such as Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. All we need is a good guidebook.

turquoisesky

Post by turquoisesky » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks for your advices. I am planning to go this summer.

Burmacuda

Post by Burmacuda » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:09 am

I would advise going in the low season - hotels and tour agents jack up the prices in the high season (November to April).

You'll get some good deals on accommodation in the low season, food and beer is very cheap in Myanmar as is travelling if you avoid the package tours and go it alone.
Myanmar photo galleries: www.ontheroadasia.com

freshmelon

Post by freshmelon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:56 pm

So summer is the low season? How much is for the beer in Myanmar? :)

shine789

Post by shine789 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:29 pm

About one dollar for one beer :D

king990

Post by king990 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Great. What about food, accommodation etc.?